5 Golden Makeup Rules
There are few things in life which can transform your appearance and mood as quickly as makeup. It’s almost magical, mysterious, and wouldn’t be out of place in a Harry Potter novel.
Yes, makeup has the power to change your entire day for the better, so it stands to reason that you want to be good at it!
The problem is, some makeup techniques are hard to master. Practice makes perfect, but how do you know that you’re doing it right? Sure, you can watch all the videos on YouTube, but reliable content? That’s hard to find.
Sometimes you just need to know the hidden secrets to turn your skills from so-so to so-wow.
There are five basic rules you need to know in order to create makeup looks that pop:
- Invest in good quality brushes and products - You don’t have to spend the Earth, but make sure you at least invest in something which is going to last you and is going to suit your skin tone
- Visit a cosmetics counter for a foundation match - So many people wear the wrong shade for foundation and it’s knocking your makeup in all the wrong directions from the get-go. A quick consultation will give you the shade you need and from there you can work your magic
- Always remove your makeup at the end of the day and never use makeup wipes. You might think they’re quick and efficient but they’re dragging your skin in all different directions and not actually doing much about deep cleaning! Micellar water is a far better option and just as quick
- Know your face shape and skin type. These are both things which a consultation with a makeup artists will tell you and whilst you don't necessarily need a solid confirmation, this information will allow you to tailor your makeup far more effectively
- Less is more. Seriously, less is so much more! It’s far better to start with less and build it up. If you go with too much product from the start you’re going to look way over the top and it’s going to be almost impossible to blend out. Start slowly and work your way up.
These five golden rules will help you to create makeup looks that suit your personal circumstances and remember, everyone is different! Perhaps that’s why makeup is such a confusing subject for so many people, because it’s not possible to give advice that suits very single situation.